Monday, January 30, 2012

Surviving a trip while trying to eat healthy!

It can be done people.  It can be done!!  I just survived 6 days of a 'celebration' and remained OP *on plan*!  It was hard and frustrating, but deeply satisfying knowing that I was making the best choices that I could.

Tuesday was our travel day.  I packed protein bars to help with breakfasts and while they weren't terribly good on the carb count, they were packed with protein.  I had one of those for breakfast and lunch that day *I couldn't bring myself to pay the prices for something on the plane.*  When we arrived at the hotel, we were on our own for dinner that night.  I was thankful that the food court at the hotel had fresh salads, so I snagged the chef salad *picking some of the meat and cheese off* and scored a light ranch dressing.

Wednesday, they served a brunch, but it wasn't scheduled to be served until 10:30.  So, I had another bar.  At the brunch, I chose scrambled 'eggs', fresh fruit, and topped my eggs with some fresh *didn't look bottled* salsa.  We had our free time and we then went to our session at 4:30, but rather than have a session, they took all 4,000+ of us to Sea World *SURPRISE*!!  Talk about amazing *and almost dreamlike.*  They had different kinds of buffets set up all over Sea World for a variety of taste pallets.  I ended up with some BBQ chicken, 1/4c to 1/2c of potato salad, some fresh fruit, and a salad *dipping my fork in the dressing because they didn't have any light dressings.*  I opted out of dessert.

Thursday, we were on our own for breakfast.  I had a latte and a bar for breakfast.  Lunch was salad *yippee* and a couple of different choices of meat *I chose chicken*.  They also had rice, but I didn't have any of that.  I mainly had the salad.  Dinner that night was *like* a typical camp meal:  Asian noodles *just veggies or veggies and chicken*, chicken bratwurst *with HUGE rolls*, pizza, hummus with pita bread or breadsticks, mini apple pies and brownies for dessert.  What I snagged from that:  noodles with veggies, one bratwurst *no roll*, some hummus with a few pita wedges, 1 breadstick, and a mini apple pie.  Can you say, "Carb overload??"  There wasn't a single vegetable there that night!!

My remaining breakfasts *Friday/Saturday/Sunday* were all a skinny latte, my protein bar, and a banana.  Friday's lunch was in Epcot.  I ended up with a Caesar salad *I could feel my arteries clogging...ha!*  I grabbed a 'side' salad that night with light ranch for dinner.  It had a mess of fresh veggies on it and it was pretty tasty.  Lunch on Saturday was a bag lunch.  My choices were:  turkey sandwich on a HUGE roll, chicken salad wrap, sun chips, potato chips, pretzels, apple/banana, and a cookie.  My choice:  chicken salad wrap, sun chips, an apple, and a cookie for a treat.  The chips ended up being a snack later in the day.  Our dinner Saturday, was a sit down meal.  We were served a salad *yippee*, our main entree was a small *probably 2oz piece* of fish, a 2-3oz piece of beef something or other, about 1/4c of mashed potatoes, and some cooked rainbow carrots *yum!*  I had the mousse that was there for dessert, but wished that I hadn't after I found out how many points it was!!  Yikes!!

Yesterday, I found a place that made a salad at the airport.  Pricey, but worth every penny to me.  I had it made with mixed greens, onion, black olives, tomatoes, cucumber, and chicken.  It was served with a whole wheat roll and I snagged some fat free raspberry vinaigrette dressing.  Dinner?  Was another bar.

While I did okay, I felt like our provided meals were lacking in the vegetable department.  My body didn't like being 'deprived' of veggies.

Regardless of the lack of veggies, I did get plenty of exercise in.  Hubby and I took the stairs *98% of the time.  There were a couple of nights where I was just plain tired.*  Our room was on the 8th floor *I was never so thankful to NOT be on the 16th floor!*  And I didn't really start to get winded until the 6th floor.  I also went to the fitness center 3 times while we were there.  Our room was about 10 minutes from the ballroom where our seminars took place *Yes...in the same hotel!  Crazy, no?*  I also counted all of the walking we did at Sea World, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios.

The trip was wonderful and relaxing.  I loved seeing folks that I haven't seen in 4 years.  This was a valuable lesson to me.  I know now that I can manage no matter the circumstances.  It just takes a little planning, some perseverance, and some will power.  Anything is possible!  Keep at it everyone and I know that you will succeed!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Kati!! You are such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! And you were able to "pass the test". Congrats, that is hard in itself to stay on task.

    ReplyDelete