There are so many ways to start
1. Take a walk. I know this is difficult in some parts of the country because of the weather, but you could always try a Leslie Sansone video. These give you a good sweat and can be done in a low impact manor. I've used them as fillers at the beginning of my journey.
2. Laps at the pool or water aerobics. If you have a pool near you that is open this time of year, this just might be the thing for you. It's low impact and will surely give you a workout!
3. Check within your community to see if there is an aerobics class that is available to you. This could also include yoga, spin, etc. We have a gal here that does an aerobics class three days a week for a higher intensity and 4 days a week for a low intensity.
4. Jog/run. If you feel like you can or it is something you'd like. Try it out. Shoot for a 5k...that's only 3.2 miles. My hubby thinks that once you start running that you won't be able to stop. It's still not my cup of tea.
5. Various types of DVDs/VHS. There are many DVDs out there that can give you a good, heart pumping workout. I've recently completed P90X and will be starting Slim in 6 as soon as it arrives. In the meantime, I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.
Not each of these is for everyone. You have to find what works best for you. This is also another common thread for me. If it doesn't feel good or something hurts, you either need to modify it or find something else. Sometimes it is nice to have a buddy to do it with you. Or again...you need to give your own self a kick in the pants. If you're walking, put some tunes on. When I go for a walk *sans children* I like having my music to get me moving. I tend to walk to the beat of the music, so it needs to be peppy. You might even be appalled at some of the music that I have on my ipod right now.
ExerciseMoving controls weight ExerciseMoving combats health conditions and diseases ExerciseMoving improves mood ExerciseMoving boosts energy ExerciseMoving promotes better sleep ExerciseMoving helps things between you and your significant other ExerciseMoving can be fun
Consider this your kick in the pants. Get yourself moving. I want to see you feeling better and more energized this year!