Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Surgery

I wanted to get this out. 

There are some people who need or choose to have 'the surgery.'  What I mean by this is that they have surgery to help them lose weight.  This comes in two forms that I am familiar with...the Lap Band and gastric bypass.  The first puts a band around the stomach to essentially make your stomach smaller and keep you from eating more than is necessary.  This seems a bit less invasive.  The latter is much more drastic.  I know a couple of people who have had it done.

These gals have done this *one or the other* as a seemingly last resort.  I think it can absolutely work for those who have the right mind-set.  On the other hand, it can backfire *like any food modification program* if your emotional health isn't addressed too.  I have said time and time again that if your mind-set isn't focused and ready to take on the difficulties of a food battle, you will unfortunately sadly fail.

I'm speaking from my heart here.  I want people to know that while surgery is something I would consider a 'quick fix' for your body, it doesn't 'fix' your emotional state.  Only you can fix your emotional state.  No one else.  Not your mom, dad, sister, brother, cousin, aunt, uncle, children, spouse, friend or significant other.  You.  Only you.  And at the off-chance of sounding preachy...you and God.

One last plug.  We read a book in my book study called "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst.  No, I don't get any money for raving about her book, but I really enjoyed it!  It goes after your heartstrings.  And, it's funny!  I often imagine that my baby carrots are a bowl full of Cheetos, but I know Lysa thinks of them in a different way.

Pick something to work on this week...just one thing.  Drinking more water.  Getting in some exercise time.  Whatever it may be and do it.  And do it well!



No comments:

Post a Comment