Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Helping...

...or not.

There is this person in my life that I love very dearly.  A whole bunch.  And let's just say that this person wants to get healthy.  This person's doctor is holding them accountable.  As in, the doctor wants to see them again in 3 months.  That's some pretty serious accountability, no?  This person has said that they really need to do it this time.  I hear it over and over again.  They want to be in the best shape of their life by the time they hit 40.  That's just 3 years away.

Over the past couple of days, I've become very aware of the types of things this person is still eating.  And how much.  I've caught myself saying, "Hey!  Get out of that!"  Last night, I told this person that they might want to consider logging their food, as they reached for a 'before bed snack' after a hearty dinner.  I got a resounding NO!!!

It's so hard to back off and not say anything when someone you love tells you that they want to get healthy, but you feel as though they aren't watching their food intake.  And, I know that if I keep 'badgering' them, that it won't help a lick.  It's hard when we've been in this place before and it's the same cycle.  There has to be a break in the cycle someplace, right?

So what am I going to do?  I'm going to pull out a large roll of tape and use it on my mouth.  Again, I need to remember my earlier comment about the horse and the water.  On a side note, I seem to remember a time when I tried to 'help' with something else *math related* and that just made this same person frustrated.  Maybe it's a, "I don't need your help.  I got this!"

So here are some questions to ponder:

When do you give in and ask for help? 

When is enough...enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment