Monday, January 14, 2013

My Heart's Desire

I may get a little soap box-ish, so if you're afraid...walk away now.

Seriously.

My Monday morning study is reading a new book.  We're only 3 chapters in, but I know that it is speaking to me.  I know that the author is my voice in some ways too.  The book is called Winning the Food Fight and it's written by Steve Willis.  Again, I don't receive any money by talking about his book nor am I looking for anything in doing so.

When I started writing this blog, I felt the desire to help people, to reach people who don't necessarily live near me.  I couldn't put my finger on the full reason as to why I felt compelled to start this.  Steve says in Winning the Food Fight, "You feel a righteous indignation that is compelled by love.  You have to do something.  You may not be sure what, but by God's grace, you will act." (p. 58)

Ding, ding, ding!  That's it exactly!!

And, in case you thought I am being all 'righteous'...I'm not.  It's righteous indignation, which is:   retribution, retributive justice; anger and contempt combined with a feeling that it is one's right to feel that way; anger without guilt (according to dictionary.com).  To me, it's more about frustration that is compelled by love.

I'm frustrated because I can't help more than I am.  I'm frustrated because I can lead a horse to water, but I can't force it to drink.

I can't proclaim that I know everything there is to know about weight loss.  I've said it before, but it is worth repeating...what works/has worked for me, won't always necessarily work for you *or someone else.*  What it comes down to is you finding what works best for you.  Do I sound a bit like a broken record?  Good!

You will never know if you can succeed, unless you try.  Again, Steve says, "...defeat in the mind usually precedes defeat in the body.  If we are going to change our diet* and exercise habits, we must first be convinced in our hearts and minds that we need to change."  Winning the Food Fight, (p. 55)

That little * by diet is my own doing.  The word diet is just wrong.  So rather than saying diet, let's say food modification or food alteration.  Really what we need to be doing is modifying how we're eating now.  Right?  Baby steps here people.  I'm not saying you need to overhaul your complete menu...just tweak it a little.

And, backing up a little to the last part of that quote.  It's what I said a couple of posts ago, your mind and heart need to be in it in order to succeed.  Truly.  There's no other way to do it.

I'm anxious to see what more I learn.  Steve says that if I have an itch to help, that I just need to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment