Saturday, December 31, 2011

12 for '12

It's New Year's Eve and everyone is thinking about making resolutions.  Not me.  I don't do resolutions.  Most times, I think people make resolutions, but then don't keep them.  They resolve to lose weight and exercise more.  They go into January with vigor and enthusiasm, but somewhere between February and March, they peter out.  I like to make goals for the year.

What is a goal?  On dictionary.com its first two definitions are as follows:

goal

noun

1.  the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.
2.  the terminal point in a race
The first definition gives a true reason why one should make goals.  You want to attain a result or an achievement this year, don't you?  The second definition will help you think of your goal as a race to be won.  It's not a race against anyone.  Maybe it's a race against time.  Maybe it's a race against yourself, but certainly don't make it a race to lose weight too quickly *it's just not healthy.*

If I go back to the beginning of this year, I believe that my goal for the year was to continue to lose weight.  I think I was even hoping to be at goal sometime this year.  That part of the goal hasn't been completed, but I feel that I have done a pretty good job at moving towards it.
So where am I going with this?  Well, a friend of mine *thanks Suzy if you're reading this* gave me this fantabulous idea of coming up with 12 goals for 2012.  Thus 12 for '12.  Get it now?  While you're thinking about some potential goals for yourself in 2012, I'll list mine.

  1. Get to my goal weight *185* or less and maintain it.
  2. Continue to work hard by strengthening my body.
  3. Try to have at least one 'date' with my hubby per month *coffee date, dinner date, something!*
  4. Keep trying new recipes.
  5. Read more.
  6. Take time for myself (outside of exercise & my book study)
  7. Continue to blog and share my journey with others.
  8. Do things with the girls that require going outside and being active.
  9. Eat fresh fruits/veggies as much as possible.
  10. Write more letters by hand.
  11. Laugh more.
  12. Learn how to better express my feelings to others.
Whew!  That was harder than I thought!  It's done though.  Now that they're in plain view, I can go back over them.  Are they attainable?  Absolutely.  Are some more difficult than others?  Possibly.  But, they are mine.  

I mean it now.  Go sit down and think about this for a few minutes, maybe over a cup of coffee or something.  Share one or two in the comments box.  Let me know some of your 12 for '12, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment