Sunday, July 22, 2012

Walking With Good Form

Did you know that when you walk for fitness purposes that you should have good form?  Do your hands swell when you go for a long walk *to the point where your rings may not come off?*  Are you getting shin splints?

I could certainly answer yes to the hands swelling.  I wondered why this happened and looked it up.  There is no precise scientific proof about the reason for it happening, but some say it's because when you swing your arms, you're forcing more fluid into your hands by 'centrifugal force'.  There are several 'theories' on this, some of which you can find here.  Since I read about some remedies for this 'problem', I have started walking with my arms at a 90-degree angle with my hands in a loose fist.  Because I am doing that now, I have had less hand swelling.  I can actually get my wedding rings off should I need to when I finish a walk.

I found an article about proper walking form.  You can find that here.  The article definitely has you think about your walking form.  I certainly encourage anyone who walks or runs to stretch after they finish.  It makes such a big difference in how you feel the following day.  No skimping!

Keep walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment