Monday, April 9, 2012

Take that scale and....

...*you fill in the blank*.

Are you sick and tired?  Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired?  Yeah,  I get it.

Are you letting the scale determine how you feel about yourself?  I often do.  It's hard not to.  In an effort to encourage others, I found this article.  It totally spoke to me.

I think I project my thoughts of others onto myself.  Or my perceived thoughts of others.  Does that even make sense?  I try to 'know' what they are thinking and how they feel about me.  Maybe that's why when my hubby and I are out in public and some random guy 'hits' on me, I don't see it.  My hubby sees it because he sees me for who I really am, not who I see myself as. 

Why do I care what others think of me?  Or how they see me?  When I walk through the grocery store, I often think about if I run into someone I know, what will they think of what I have in my cart?  Or the cashiers.  If they've noticed the amount of weight I've lost *which most of the women who work at our store have*...what will they think of what I have on the belt?  Crazy, right?  Or is it?

Part of this mentality is because we live in a small town.  Everyone 'knows' everyone else.  You generally can't go to the store *which is the only one in town and the only one between Flagstaff and probably Kingman on I40* without seeing at least one person you know.  So, it's a hot spot per se.  And, I might be guilty of checking out other people's carts or the stuff they put on the belt.  I might even *gasp* compare the stuff in their cart/or the stuff on the belt to how the person looks.  Smite me now!!!  Shameful, huh?  Please tell me I'm not the only one?  Please also tell me what an awful person I am!!

In knowing how I am, I think I imagine other people doing the same to me.  It's only fair, right?  So where am I going with this?  We just have this poor 'relationship' with the scale.  The scale is an extension of how we feel and how we feel others look at us.

So, how do we break this cycle?  I'm not really sure.  If I figure out, I'll let you know.  I think we are all creatures of habit, and this is just part of it.  But, if you have the answer...I'd love to hear it!  In the meantime, don't beat yourself up!

No comments:

Post a Comment