Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Two Weeks & Happy 100!

Picture this on this fall morning:  alarm goes off at 5:20 a.m. *the sun isn't up yet and the streetlights are still on*; my feet are hitting the pavement at 5:35 a.m. *streetlights are still on and my brain is feeling a bit foggy*; I walk back in the door at shortly after 6 to stretch and at 6:25 a.m., I check the thermometer.  It is 39 degrees outside.  I knew it was cold when I walked out the door because I could see my breath, but wow!

I completed week 6 in my C25K journey *that is couch to 5K* just today.  I never in a million years would have imagined that I would be jogging/running for any length of time.  Today's training was 5 minutes of warm up walking, 22 minutes of non-stop jogging, and 5 minutes of cool down.  I'm not making the distance, but I'm not off by much *maybe 1/4 of a mile*.  I tagged my high school volleyball coach in my facebook status this morning.  Her response:  "Definitely not the girl I knew at Pembroke!!! You're definitely an awesome role model for your children! I always knew you had it in you! You just needed time to blossom and find yourself!!!"  Find myself?  Finally...just shy of 35.  Sheesh...it took me long enough.

I have just two weeks left in my training.  In some ways, I'm in shock that I'm nearly finished.  Starting on Saturday, each of my training days include:  a 5 minute warm-up, 25 minute jog/run *or 2.5 miles*, and a 5 minute cool down.  Then, it's week 8!  It's been basically two challenges in one.  I'm still striving for my 500 miles *did I mention I've hit 300?*  But, I'm also gaining strength in this whole running thing too. 

So Kati, what will you do next after finishing your C25K?  I think I'll keep going.  There is a 10k app that I can go on to and it will allow me to skip the first 8 weeks, so really, I will be moving towards 6 miles in another 6 weeks.  What's 3 more miles, right?

And happy 100 posts to me!  It's been nearly a year since I started blogging.  I know I don't blog very often, but sometimes less is more. :)

I encourage you to keep going.  There are no 'breaks' in the staying healthy game.  It is for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment